We adapted this recipe a while back after seeing these made on WellnessForTheWin’s instagram stories. They are so simple and delicious (and healthy!) and are now a staple in our weekly meals.
You can find her post for the secret to a perfect flatbread here: https://wellnessforthewin.com/2017/04/17/the-secret-to-a-perfect-flatbread/
We use Aldi’s Flatbreads and usually add some chicken if we have any, but these really are the perfect meal to truly make your own! All in all they take less than 20 minutes to create and you can add just about anything your heart desires.
It’s been a busy week and we couldn’t be more grateful for day light savings! That extra hour is everything, especially on a Sunday! Our beloved Chiefs are playing (and hopefully beating the Cowboys) today so we are sharing a few of our favorite healthy recipes for game day! These are great for whether you’re tailgating or hosting a watch party. Everyone loves snacking but it’s even better when you don’t have to feel guilty about indulging. Below are 4 of our favorites, two of which we made today!
- Pesto & Turkey Cucumber Roll Ups – We made these today and they are SO easy and SO good. Recipe from Ambitious Kitchen. We used pesto as well as red pepper hummus – see below for our finished product from today!
- Taco Stuffed Mini Peppers – another GREAT party snack and crowd pleaser! Not to mention you can make a ton for very little $! Recipe from Bunsen Burner Bakery.
- Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip – if you’re like us, you kind of roll your eyes at anything that has “skinny in the title because more often than not that means way less flavor, but trust us you will not be disappointed with this recipe from The Garlic Diaries!
- Apple Nachos – you know we had to include something sweet! These are super easy and fun and you won’t feel the least bit guilty about eating as much as you want. Today, we used the recipe from Trial & Eater.
Ash & Maddie
We love this recipe! We see variations all of the time and sometimes adapt and substitute ingredients but these are our favorite healthy on the go snack. They’re great for before or after a workout, breakfast and even dessert! We usually double the recipe so we have enough for a week or two. Enjoy!
Ashle & Maddie
- 1 cup oatmeal (we use old-fashioned oats)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (we prefer dark chocolate chips!)
- 2/3 cup toasted coconut flakes (broil on high for 2-3 minutes)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
- Stir all ingredients together in bowl until thoroughly mixed. Cover and let chill in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes. When mixture has hardened a bit it makes it easier to form into balls.
- Once chilled, roll into balls. Store and keep refrigerated.
- Makes about 20-25 balls.
Our favorite thing about this recipe is how flexible it is! If you are allergic to any of the ingredients, or if you are just looking for other substitution ideas, feel free to adapt.
- Chocolate Chips: We generally use dark chocolate chips, but you can definitely substitute in any other kinds of chips (butterscotch, milk chocolate, white chocolate, cinnamon chips, and even vegan chocolate chips.) These can also be left out all together if chocolate isn’t your thing!
- Peanut Butter: If you are allergic to peanuts, feel free to substitute in any other kinds of nut butter, like almond or sunflower seed, cashew butter, etc. We love using almond butter for a healthier option!
- Sweetener: We generally prefer honey in this recipe, but agave nectar works just as well!