We love this recipe! We see variations all of the time and sometimes adapt and substitute ingredients but these are our favorite healthy on the go snack. They’re great for before or after a workout, breakfast and even dessert! We usually double the recipe so we have enough for a week or two. Enjoy!
Ashle & Maddie
- 1 cup oatmeal (we use old-fashioned oats)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (we prefer dark chocolate chips!)
- 2/3 cup toasted coconut flakes (broil on high for 2-3 minutes)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
- Stir all ingredients together in bowl until thoroughly mixed. Cover and let chill in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes. When mixture has hardened a bit it makes it easier to form into balls.
- Once chilled, roll into balls. Store and keep refrigerated.
- Makes about 20-25 balls.
Our favorite thing about this recipe is how flexible it is! If you are allergic to any of the ingredients, or if you are just looking for other substitution ideas, feel free to adapt.
- Chocolate Chips: We generally use dark chocolate chips, but you can definitely substitute in any other kinds of chips (butterscotch, milk chocolate, white chocolate, cinnamon chips, and even vegan chocolate chips.) These can also be left out all together if chocolate isn’t your thing!
- Peanut Butter: If you are allergic to peanuts, feel free to substitute in any other kinds of nut butter, like almond or sunflower seed, cashew butter, etc. We love using almond butter for a healthier option!
- Sweetener: We generally prefer honey in this recipe, but agave nectar works just as well!